Team Wylie is on a constant lookout for ways to work harder, faster, and smarter. This week, our research put Grum on our radar.
It’s an online tool that allows users to post and schedule to multiple Instagram accounts directly through the web. Gone are the days when we had to upload a photo to our laptop, then upload the edited photo from our laptop to the cloud, then download that photo onto our smartphone, and finally post to Instagram through its mobile-only app.
Or are they? Like many things, Grum is still new, which is to say it isn’t perfect. So, let’s break this down.
What you CAN do on Grum
1) Web-based Application: Post to Instagram without your smartphone. With Grum, you can post to Instagram through a web browser. Bypassing the Instagram mobile app cuts out several steps in your maintenance process. Hoorah!
2) Pre-schedule Posts: Schedule your post weeks in advance. This is Grum’s best feature. For small teams like ours who manage multiple accounts across various time zones, this frees us up to schedule content ahead of time. We can focus on monitoring and managing engagement afterwards. [Special Note: Keep in mind that Grum uses UTC time.]
3) Manage Multiple Accounts: Move from one Instagram account to the next with one login. Grum makes switching between Instagram accounts as easy as two clicks.
What you CAN’T do on Grum
1) No Special Effects: Emojis are available on Grum, and you also can crop your image. However, there are no filters or other special effects, like Boomerang. This may or may not be a big deal for your team, depending on how heavily you rely on Instagram to edit photos. To work around this, we recommend Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom. Picasa is another option.
2) No Video Uploads: Right now, videos can’t be published to Instagram through Grum. There’s no word on when this will change.
3) No Monitoring: In terms of likes and comments, you can see how your own Instagram posts are performing. But for more details, users will have to look outside Grum to manage engagement or explore the greater Instagram world.
This tool is great for a small team that wants to stay nimble. Even so, we always recommend a test drive. Grum offers new subscribers a free 3-day trial.
Make it count, and let us know what you think!
written by Jane Kim, Brand Manager for Wylie & Co.